Friday, July 28, 2006

Healing Angels

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another. ~Luciano de Crescenzo



As a palliative care social worker, I am often witness to deep human suffering. Every person and situation in this work affects me, but some hit the very core of me and it can be a struggle to leave the emotions at the work place.

This week at work was especially difficult. It never seems right when a single mother dies too young and leaves behind 5 children. The echo of the children's tears stay with me. I feel a heaviness in my heart when I think of them facing their lives, so early, without parents. All of my palliative care collegues, and each care professional involved in this case have been deeply affected. We seem to be carrying the grief on our sleeves.

The beauty and grace that has come out of this, has been the sharing amongst us. While we may need to heal and reflect privately, there is an awareness that we shoulder the grief and sadness together. The path is much easier to navigate when one knows there are others walking with you, willing to support, understand, and listen.

No comments: