Monday, September 11, 2006

A special day


"A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves - a special kind of double."
~Toni Morrison


Today is a day of mourning for so many. Horrific events in 2001 changed how this day will be remembered, forever. September 11th is also my sister's birthday. She is a beautiful, kind-hearted and remarkable woman. Sadly, because of who she is, she now feels guilty celebrating this day. I still choose to celebrate. Her arrival in this world has brought me the most wonderful, unexpected, and soulful gifts.

Today, my sister is 5 years younger and 5 inches taller than I am. 32 years ago, I anxiously awaited her arrival home from the hospital where she was born. In 1974 , children under 12 were not allowed in hospitals so I had to wait until my parents brought her home. I remember having those amazing anticipatory stirrings in my stomach; just like I did before my own birthday, or the night before Christmas. I couldn't sleep as I waited to have my first introduction to my new born sister.

Over the years she has become my greatest advocate and often, the one who has held the mirror up to my face. We have become experts at bickering and shouting out painful truths...all the while, holding a deep and abiding love for the other. No matter what has erupted between us, there is an unspoken trust and loyalty.

So, today, I cheer and celebrate my sister. I send her happy, loving, and magical wishes today and every day.


No comments: